Thursday, September 20, 2012

Did you know???...


Here is a lovely view of Franconia Notch from the rear of the Deer Park Hotel. If you look closely, you can see hotel guests out for a stroll on the hotel grounds. My guess is that this is somewhere in the vicinity of where Deer Park Drive & the ramp to I-93 southbound is now.

Did you know that there was a drive-in theatre on the Deer Park grounds after the hotel burned in the 50's? It was located approximately where the lake now is. I hear area youth would often hide in the woods attempting to see the movies for free...only to get chased away from the drive-in owner...

After the drive-in closed, the area was blasted for stone - creating the Deer Park lake and another located behind it that is now private property.

My thanks to a historian at the Upper Pemigewasset Historical Society for providing me with this info...

No comments:

Post a Comment